Friday, February 28, 2014

The quest for a border

 
I've completed the main body of my lacy heart shawl (previously called "Amore Shawl" when I mentioned it on this blog) that I believe will be coined "Forget Me Not" for sentimental reasons mentioned in my Podcast episode #1. With that reason, the quest for a suitable border is all the more important to get "just right." 

I've searched through all of my stitchonaries, checked out additional books from the library to merge a couple of ideas together for what  I envisioned for this shawl. It hasn't been easy, but I think that I have come up with a game plan. I've been mulling over this for quite some time now.

My challenge now is that I have to fit this 16 row border perfectly with the row and stitch count of this shawl. I'm working with an excel chart to (visually) help me turn the corners accurately in this border so that all corners look the same because I haven't done a rectangular shawl border before. Triangular  borders-yes, at least three times, but not a rectangle. If you've never done this either, you normally need to knit into certain stitches more than once around the corner area, so that the edging bends with the curve. I'll show and explain more about that later, but in the meantime, wish me luck!

No comments: